The 2017 IHEU General Assembly (GA) will take place on Sunday 6 August 2017, in London, United Kingdom. The GA will take place from 0930 – 1700 at the Kingsway Hall Hotel (kingswayhall.co.uk). The hotel is nestled between Central London’s Holborn and Covent Garden.
This page contains:
- an overview of the programme
- information on how to register
- documents for delegates at the IHEU General Assembly, including travel grant applications and all nomination forms
- and finally a note on finding accommodation.
A weekend of Humanist events in London
The IHEU GA is part of three days of humanist events in London, including:
- Friday 4 August: International Humanist Professionals Conference, General Assembly of the International Humanist and Ethical Youth Organization (IHEYO), and regional networking meetings for representatives from Latin America, Africa and Asia (these three events will run in parallel), followed by a drinks reception in central London.
- Saturday 5 August: International Conference on ‘The Rise of Populism and its Threat to Secularism, Democracy and Human Rights’ hosted by the British Humanist Association (BHA), followed by a conference dinner in the evening.
- Sunday 6 August: General Assembly of International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU).
For full details of the weekend events can be found on the registration portal below.
Registration for the IHEU GA, and all other aspects of the weekend including the day conference hosted by the BHA, can be made here on the BHA website:
Documents and Procedures for IHEU GA
- Travel Grants.
IHEU can offer a limited number of grants to help organizations send delegates to the 2017 International Conference and General Assembly in London, UK, on 4-6 August 2017. These grants will cover up to 75% of the costs of the Conference and General Assembly, as well as travel and accommodation. See information on the application form for full details.
[Download: 2017 General Assembly Travel Grants Application Form]
Deadline: 30 April 2017. (There may be a further round of application if funds remain).
- Resolutions by Member Organizations.
Member Organizations may submit items for discussion or resolutions for the General Assembly. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 7 June 2017.
- Nominations for election to the IHEU Board.
The nominating Member Organization must complete a nomination form and the candidate must indicate acceptance on the form. There are four places available on the Board for election: the Vice-President, a reserved position for someone from Latin America, and two general Board positions.
[Download: Board Nomination Form 2017]
Deadline: 22 June 2017.
- Nominations for the Distinguished Service to Humanism Award 2017.
This award recognises the contributions of Humanist activists to International Humanism and to organised Humanism. The names of recent recipients can be found on the IHEU website.
[Download: Distinguished Service to Humanism Award nomination form 2017]
Deadline: 22 June 2017.
- Activity Reports from Member Organizations.
Member Organizations are invited to send a one-page report of their 2016 activities to email@example.com. These will be included in the Delegate Packs.
Deadline: 27 June 2017.
- Appointing voting representatives to the General Assembly.
Member Organizations can appoint representatives to vote on their behalf. Member Organizations with one, two or three votes may appoint representatives up to their number of votes. Each Member Organization with more than three votes, may appoint up to three representatives to vote on its behalf. Member Organizations should inform the IHEU office in writing of their voting representatives by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 27 June 2017.
- Registration of Proxy votes. Member Organizations that are not able to send a representative to the General Assembly are entitled to a proxy vote.
[Download: Proxy Nomination Form 2017]
Deadine: 7 July 2017.
- Registration for the General Assembly. Please use the link above to register. Member Organizations are entitled to send representatives. Individual Supporters are also entitled to attend (but cannot vote). Places cannot be guaranteed for those who do not book by the due date (we will try to accommodate late registrations where possible but this may affect voting rights).
Due date: 7 July 2017.
Note: Member Organizations must be up to date with IHEU membership fees in order to participate at the General Assembly.
For all queries and to submit all documents, please email email@example.com.
As there are a few events over the weekend in different venues, and because the prices and delegates’ preferences and requirements vary so widely, we are not recommending a specific hotel. Accommodation must be self-arranged and paid for by delegates (though of course a travel grant may cover some of the cost for successful applicants).
There is of course plenty of accommodation available across central London. To help you find a preferred location you can use this map of the weekend’s three venues. You can search the map for “hotels” for example. For significantly cheaper accommodation you can try searching for “hostels”.
There is information about using London transport at Visit London. Note that you can no longer pay for bus fares in cash on London buses. There is information at the above link about how you can acquire an Oyster smart card which will give you the cheapest rates on buses and tube trains.