IHEU is the global representative body of the humanist movement, uniting a diversity of non-religious organisations and individuals. Our work at the international level depends on the support and participation of our members. Member Organizations democratically constitute the organization, participate in policy formation and the representation of Humanism at international institutions.
All groups and organizations that are Humanist, atheist, freethinker, secular, ethical culture, or rationalist can become a member of IHEU, as long as they have objects (goals) that are consistent with our Bylaws concerning Humanism:
“1.2. Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance that affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethics based on human and other natural values in a spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality.”
What to know before applying
There are three membership categories, as defined in our Membership and Dues Regulations from point 1.3 to point 1.5.1:
- Full Member
(established national, democratic, membership organizations and national and international umbrella organizations)
- Specialist Member
(non-membership organizations; e.g. educational institutions; academic institutes; publishing houses, trusts, etc that are actively supporting humanism)
- Associate Member
(local humanist organizations, for recently formed national membership organizations and for organizations where promoting humanism is not the primary activity; e.g. humanitarian organizations)
All details on these categories and the benefits and obligations of membership are described in our Bylaws and the Membership and Dues Regulations. Applicants must read these two documents before filling out the Application Form with the required details.
About the membership fees
Membership dues are calculated as follows:
As you can see, the information needed to calculate the membership fees are the following:
- The number of individual members
- The total annual income from the membership dues
- The recurrent income of your organization
NB: if accepted as member, your organization will need to send us these three information.
- An organization has 1800 members paying dues of £15 on average. The recurrent income is £30,000 and the reductions (e.g. cost of magazine) is £12,000. The fee is £900 (5% of recurring free income of £18,000) plus £90 (1800 times £0.05) is £990. So the minimum fee of £1500 would apply.
- A larger organization has 8,000 members paying dues of £25 on average. The recurrent income is £250,000 and the reductions (e.g. cost of magazine and subsidies to local groups) is £50,000. The fee is £10,000 (5% of recurring free income of £200,000) plus £400 (8,000 times £0.05) equals £10,400.
- An organization has 2,000 members, and total recurring income of £35,000. The reduction is £15,000 (e.g. cost of magazine etc). The fee is £800 (4% of recurring free income of £20,000).
The application form is available below. As soon you as you will submit it, you will receive a confirmation message from our Staff. If you need help in filling out the form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org