The IHEU General Assembly 2015 will be held at the Unilab Bayanihan Center, 8008 Pioneer St., Kapitolyo, Pasig City, Philippines on Saturday 30 May 2015 (9:30am till 5pm).
The Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society (PATAS) will organize their second convention, called PATASCON2015, on Sunday 31 May 2015, with the theme “Breaking Through With Reason and Humanism”. The convention will also be held at the Unilab Bayanihan Center, and the participation fee is PHP 1200 (about £18/US$27/€25).
Confirmed speakers include David G. McAfee (author of “Mom, Dad, I’m an Atheist”), Bill Flavell, Red Tani (founder of the Filipino Freethinkers), Rodion M. Herrera (astronomy lecturer) and Lily Freida Cabaddu Macabangun (Director of International Affairs at the Commission on Higher Education). More speakers will be announced later. (Facebook Event)
Update. NB: the registration form is now disabled as the deadline for registration has passed. (For the PATAS conference on 31 May register via the Facebook Event.)
Forms are available below to nominate candidates to fill positions of 2 IHEU Executive Committee members, and propose resolutions for the GA (see due dates below).
Location and accommodation
Pasig city is one of the highly urbanized cities of Metro Manila, located along the eastern border of Metro Manila. Pasig is primarily a residential and industrial area, but has been becoming increasingly commercial in recent years, particularly after the construction of the Ortigas Center business district. With an area of more than 100 hectares, Ortigas Center is Metro Manila’s second most important business district after the Makati CBD. Ortigas Center is home to many shopping malls, office and condominium skyscrapers, other building complexes, nightlife bars and restaurants.
Delegates also need to book accommodation. There are many hotels in Pasig city and the Ortigas Center, from the exclusive Edsa Shangri-La, via business hotels like Astoria Plaza and Linden Suites Manila, to cheaper hotels like Richmonde and Tune.
Deadlines for the 2015 General Assembly
- 30 March 2015: Resolutions for the General Assembly: Member organisations (which are in good standing) may submit items for discussion or resolutions for the General Assembly, emailed to email@example.com – to be received 60 days before the date of the GA.
- 14 April, 2015: Nominations for elections to the IHEU Executive Committee must be received by IHEU 45 days before the General Assembly at the latest – emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The nominating organisation (which must be in good standing – which means that they have paid their 2015 dues) must complete a form and the candidate must complete an acceptance form. There are 2 places available on IHEU’s Executive Committee.
- 14 April, 2015: Call for nominations for the 2015 Distinguished Service to Humanism Award: This award recognises the contributions of Humanist activists to International Humanism and to organised Humanism. The names of recent recipients can be found on the website. Nominations should be emailed to email@example.com, with the name and full contact details of both the nominee and the nominator, name of the Member organisation making the nomination and details of the nominee’s work and contributions to international Humanism and organised Humanism.
- 24 April 2015: Member Organisations (MOs) activity reports: MOs are asked to send a one-page report of their activities in 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any received by 24 April will be included in the GA papers (no late reports included). MOs will not be required to give verbal reports at the meeting.
- 29 April 2015: Registration for the General Assembly: Everyone attending the GA must register 30 days before the GA. Please see the web form above to submit your registration. Those who are entitled to attend the GA are representatives of Member Organisations in good standing (ie who have paid their 2015 dues). Also able to attend as observers are paid up Individual Supporters and other members of Member Organisations in good standing. All delegates who register by the due date will receive an email on or before 30 April giving a password so that they can access the GA agenda and papers from IHEU’s website (NB. Papers will not be made available at the GA). There may not be places available for those who do not book by the due date.
- 22 May 2015: Proxy votes: Member Organisations who are in good standing and who are not able to send a representative, may nominate a proxy to vote on their behalf. The proxy shall either be a representative of another member organisation who has registered in time, or the chair of the meeting. The proxy vote form (above) must be submitted to email@example.com.
We very much look forward to welcoming registered delegates (representatives of IHEU member organisations in good standing, IHEU international representatives, IHEU Officers, paid-up IHEU individual supporters, volunteers and invitees) to the IHEU General Assembly 2015 in the Philippines.